"Hal and Betty, I hope you enjoyed the tour of The Garlands by our sales department," I said.

"We sure did," Betty responded.

"You were right when you told us The Garlands is an upscale retirement community," Hal added quickly.

"You've seen our whole community. Did anything conern you on your tour?" I prodded.

"Well, now that you ask," they said in unison, "where are all the people? There were only a half dozen or so in the corridors."

"You're right," I said. "There are over 200 living here in our active retirement community, and they're always on the go: some to second homes, others travelling to exotic places or volunteering at Hospice of North Eastern Illinois, Good Shepherd Hospital and churches."

"I did see some women working on jig-saw puzzles in your resource center," said Betty.

"Yes. However, today you missed the group of women who play scrabble at the Cafe Corner," I added.

"I'd still like to see more people around," Hal insisted.

"Many gather at the Cafe Corner for the monthly birthday party and the weekly 'Just Talk Group' or special functions like our Craft artists. There are plenty of members here, but they don't spend much time in the hallways--they're on the go," I replied.

"You know," Hal agreed, "I think that's a good point. I read your center page in the Gazette listing activities for the month. There are dozens: bridge, poker, billiards, women's and men's fitness, Bible study, Wii bowling, two book clubs, Lyric lectures, movies, shopping trips and more."

"There," I smiled. "You've answered your own question. Now you know 'where all the people are.' Garlands members are involved and too busy to sit around."

Labels: , , ,