We entered Fey's jewelry store in downtown Naperville one Saturday during our anniversary month, May 1982, to search for a ring guard for Rita. Fey's store consisted of one long rectangular room with a single door entrance. Windows on both sides of the entry door showed many offerings of jewelry with price tags conveniently inverted. Inside, showcases lined the sidewalls offering shiny and expensive jewelry, nearly all for women. The far end of the store ended with another jewelry case and a small cash register. Several other women shopped whispering softly because sound reverberated off the hard walls.

Rita examined ring guards and variations checking every detail for flaws, blemishes or other irregularities. Although we whispered, my male voice was easy to hear. The search narrowed to two ring guards adorned with small diamonds. Rita flashed her first choice before me. I saw a band densely covered with countless diamonds.

"Dear," I murmured, "Don't you think all those diamonds are a bit much?" The other clients, astonished, audibly supported Rita's answer.

"Jack, you can never have too many diamonds!"

Murmurs were now chuckles. I whispered to the clerk that I wanted to buy Rita the ring guard and offered my new Master Card for a first time purchase on it. Some women smiled approvingly. The clerk took the card, retired to the back room, then returned and said calmly, "Your card has been rejected."

Everyone heard the owner. Women stared inquisitively, my face reddened. I coundn't understand why it was rejected. A new card unused--declined in front of everybody. I grew tired of the chorus of sighs and offered my trusty American Express Card. Purchase completed. Then we walked slowly out of the store passing the other clients, Rita grinned happily, while I nodded timidly to our newfound friends as we exited.

An episode from the memoirs of John Patrick Roche (Jack)

Labels: , , , ,